Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Baby skin inflammation in 6 month old

Baby skin inflammation in 6 month old

Patient: Hi, I have a 6 month old baby who at 4wks old I noticed had a brown mark on his shoulder.. I thought as silly as it sounds it was maybe a birth mark I hadn’t noticed! But at around 4months the mark started to slightly raise.. At 5 months old the brown mark started to appear as a sort of wart/blister so I took him to the doctors, the doctor told me he wasn’t concerned about it as it looked like a wart but told me to keep an eye on it. A few days later the blister/wart went away but was still left with a brown mark. My son is now 6 months old and although the brown mark isn’t raised it definitely seems to have got a bit wider. Should I be concerned?? I’ve now been brushed off by 2 doctors but I think it is of some concern for a baby to have anything on it’s skin for this length of time!

Symptoms: None

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is unclear from your description what the cause of the mark on your child’s shoulder is . We would recommend that continue to monitor the size, shape, and colour of this mark. If it dramatically changes in colour, size or shape, or becomes raised as it was before, please consult a physician as soon as possible.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com