Baby sunburn

Patient: My son is 8 months old and has a sunburn. what do i use to help him with the pain?

Doctor: Topical solutions like Calomine lotion are best. Oat baths tend to be messy with babies.Hydration with fluids is impor tant. If a fever develops or parts of the burn are blistering or there is a significant personality change (drop in energy and responsiveness), he should be seen by a doctor to assess the need for antibiotics or IV fluids. I also suggest seeing a doctor if the area of sunburn is large (25% of the body).  Large areas of burn sometimes require replacement of fluids by IV to maintain hydration.In healthy 8 month old infants, it would also be okay to give the appropriate dose of ibuprofen to help with the pain but try the topical suggestions first.I hope this helps

View all posts