Baby sunburn

Patient

Q: My son is 8 months old and has a sunburn. what do i use to help him with the pain?

Doctor

A:   Topical solutions like Calomine lotion are best. Oat baths tend to be messy with babies.
Hydration with fluids is important. If a fever develops or parts of the burn are blistering or there is a significant personality change (drop in energy and responsiveness), he should be seen by a doctor to assess the need for antibiotics or IV fluids. I also suggest seeing a doctor if the area of sunburn is large (25% of the body).  Large areas of burn sometimes require replacement of fluids by IV to maintain hydration.
In healthy 8 month old infants, it would also be okay to give the appropriate dose of ibuprofen to help with the pain but try the topical suggestions first.
I hope this helps