Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Baby with Greenish Stools After Antibiotics

Baby with Greenish Stools After Antibiotics

Patient: My 10 month old has cold symptoms ( runny nose, cough) and she is on amoxicillan due to an enflamed ear drum. All day today everytime I have changed her diaper it has been a poop diaper and barely any pee. The poop is either yellowish orange color or a like hunter green color with white..kind of reminds me of bird poop but its not runny. My question is is this normal for a baby on antibiotics or is there something else going on?

Doctor: While taking amoxicillin, your child may develop an upset stomach as a side effect of this medication. Amoxicillin can c ause your child to develop diarrhea. Diarrhea can cause your child to excrete watery or loose stools. I would not be concerned about the color and contents of your child`s stool if he is feeding well, wetting his diapers and is alert. If these symptoms last after stopping the antibiotics, consult your child`s doctor.