Baby with violent shaking in sleep

Patient

Q: What can cause a ten month old to shake in his sleep

Symptoms:  A maybe 10 second violent shaking in the middle of a nap or at night
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that your infant has been experiencing seizures. In a child as young as yours, this is a medical emergency and should be evaluated by a doctor immediately. Please take your infant to your nearest emergency department to be examined. It may be that your child is having seizures as a symptom of an infection or even a neurological disorder. Seizures in young infants can be life threatening, so we cannot stress enough to take your child to be evaluated at the emergency department of your nearest children's hospital.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com