Baby's URI

Q: Our 4 month old baby has not slept well for 2 nights. She has green snotties in her nose, what does this means? How will I know if her throat is infected? Can antibiotics been given to babies?

A:   I realize how concerned you are about your baby’s condition. Certainly if your baby has been irritable in the last few days and producing green mucus, she might probably have an upper respiratory infection.
Now, this does not necessary means that she would need antibiotics to treat it. The majority of the respiratory infections in infants are caused by Viruses and the only treatment needed would be to alleviate her symptoms.
I would suggest you to take your baby to the pediatrician for a more detailed evaluation. In the meantime give her plenty of fluids and watch for other signs or symptoms such as fever, cough with sputum and rhinitis.