Back ache and short of breathe every night same time

Patient: Every night around 10 or11 my back starts to hurt and my breathing becomes a little more difficult. I try to be done with everything by that time but I often work nights with heavy lifting so it does not always work. I do have an albuterol inhaler which helps sometimes but not all the time. Any ideas or suggestions on what it could be or how to fix it.

Symptoms: Back ache short of breathe

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.See breathlessness in night can be due to Bronchial Asthma or Cardiac problems. If yo u get up in night during sleeping due to breathlessness we call it Paroxysmal Nocturnal Dyspnea. This is a sign of Cardiac Problem.Since you get relief by inhalers it suggest that you have Asthma. In any case you need to see your doctor who after clinical examination will order a Chest Xray and ECG.Treatment would be based on the cause.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.