Back Injury at School

Patient

Q: I was at school yesterday at P.E. and our ball rolled under these bleachers outside. I went to go get the ball and came out and I didn't see this metal bar, so I stood up like I normally do, but banged my lower back into it. A few hours after school, I looked at my back and it was red and swollen in one area near the spine. I had it iced yesterday for almost an hour and thirty minutes before I went to school this morning. I have had some neck problems years before now, so I'm wondering if I should be concerned about my back.

Symptoms:  Swelling, red, aching
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. We would like you to ere on the side of caution and have your back examined by your doctor or at a walk in clinic to rule out any serious injury. Most likely you may have sustained a soft tissue contusion (bruise) of the back which can be easily treated with application of ice and taking oral analgesic medication as needed. We wish you a speedy recovery.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com