Back, leg and knee pain

Q: I have started getting a pain (sometimes a shooting pain) from my lower back going down my left leg and stopping at the inside of my left knee

A:   Thank you for your question. Your symptoms could be due to a condition known as sciatica. This occurs due to irritation of the sciatic nerve. This can cause sharp, shooting, lower back pain radiating down the back of the legs. Sciatica can be caused by compression of the sciatic nerve due a herniated disc within the lumbar spine, or compression of the sciatic nerve due to muscles spasms of the back, and buttocks.
We recommend that you see your doctor for a full evaluation for sciatica. You may need to consult a specialist in orthopedic surgery for a more detailed examination. In the meantime, try not to do any heavy lifting, or intense exercises such as running as this can worsen your symptoms. You may taking some over the counter analgesic medication like extra strength (500mg) Ibuprofen, or Acetaminophen.
Treatment of this condition usually involves oral analgesic medication, physiotherapy or in more serious cases surgical correction.

Thank you for choosing