Back / neck pain severe head ache

Patient

Q: I have severe back pain and neck pain at least twice a month,,
with the stiff neck I get a severe headache and the two knots at the base of my skull(one on each side of spinal cord) that have always been there become somewhat inflamed and spongy to the touch and massaging them gives some relief to headache,

back pain is under both shoulder blades or directly beside each blade and knots appear and only way to get relief is to have my kids massage and punch the knots until they go away.. this pain last for hours

these two usually occur at different times or the onset of one has brought out the other.....

since a teen I have had stiff neck and the pain listed above several times and has been written off as spasms.
almost ten years ago I had fever of 104 and higher at times also severe headache and lost my vision for several minutes. this occurred for two days before I went to gp he admitted me in hospital and ordered spinal tap, stayed over a week with no loss of fever but meds controlled headache,,, diagnosis was (he thought i had mono) I have also noticed that if I drink alcohol on occasion I have severe back pain between my shoulders and it is extreme, it goes away in half hour or so
i am w/m 36 yo
slight high blood pressure
gought (now controlled)
about 25lbs over weight
family history of heart disease and cancer

Symptoms:  I have severe back pain and neck pain at least twice a month,,

i am w/m 36 yo
slight high blood pressure
gought (now controlled)
about 25lbs over weight
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. You possess a lot of current risk factors for the cause of back pain. Since you are 25 lbs overweight, and have a history of gout, your back pain can be exacerbated by strain due to the excess weight, or attacks of gouty arthritis (which is due to the build up of uric acid crystals within your joints). Alcohol can precipitate attacks of gout and it is recommend that one dramatically reduce or abstain from the consumption of alcohol when being treated for gout. Furthermore, your history of heart disease and hypertension can precipitate pain in the back of your neck due to elevation of your blood pressure and ischemia to the heart (angina) resulting in chest pain which can radiate to the neck, back, and arms.
Lastly, we are not certain what type of cancer you were treated for but it may be possible that your current pain history could be related to this. For this reason we recommend that you follow up with your doctor for a full physical examination and diagnostic testing to determine the specific cause of your current symptoms.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com