Back pain

Patient : Hi I have degenerative disc disease in the L4 and L5 discs in my lumbar spine. I have recently had pain in my upper back with swelling on the right side my doctor said its a disc pressing on my nerve she also said i have nerve damage. Can this be right if she hasn't done any tests? And if this is the case is it going to get worse? How will it effect me when i want to have children?
Symptoms:  pain across my back, swelling down the right side of my spine, tingling down my spine, sensitive to touch.