Back pain

Q: I have type 1 degenerative endplate change at L3-L4 level. My most severe pain is in low back buttock area on left side while sitting, and I am best while walking. Are there any procedures for releif of pain?

A:   The symptoms that you described,  are due to nerve compression, cause by a degenerative process at L3-L4 lumbar level, and you feel them worst in some positions because in those positions the intervertebral space gets smaller and compress the correspondent nerve.
Basically the conservative treatment is Physical Therapy aimed to recondition and stabilize the lumbar spine by re-educating you , teaching you a daily stretching routine for the lumbar area, strengthening of abdominal muscles, and other important general recommendations as follows: sleeping with a pillow between the knees lying on the side, avoid activities that place additional strain on the lumbar spine (example: weight lifting). All of the above, with the objective to keep you as far as possible from episodes of acute low back pain, and also to preserve your quality of life. If the conservative measures do not seem to work, the local corticosteroid injection may be considered.