Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Back Pain and Leg Pain

Back Pain and Leg Pain

Patient: I have lower back pain but have full mobility, i am getting constant pain and also shooting pains down my both my legs especially in the muscles at the front

Doctor: When the low back pain is associated with a traveling pain or numbness to the legs, knees or feet, a spinal nerve compre ssion has to be rule out. The back pain associated to a nerve compression can produce an inflammatory process that affects nerve roots (neuritis), and it manifests as traveling pain to the lower limbs and other symptoms as numbness.The treatment strategy would be as follows: try to keep a proper posture, avoiding repetitive cervical and lumbosacral stress (example weight lifting), adhering to a healthy lifestyle and proper nutrition, physical activity, losing excess of weight, smoking cessation, seeking medical advice in a timely manner when indicated. During the pain crisis a physical therapy program should be followed and aimed to reduce pain and inflammation. For patients that show poor response to these measures the surgical option may be considered.