Back pain and pain in the leg

Patient

Q: Dear Dr.
I have a friend on the other side of the world with back pain and pain in the upper leg and groin. Images of her back are posted here. My question is this: does she need a surgery?
Many thanks.

Symptoms:  Back pain and pain in the groin and upper leg.
Back pain and pain in the leg-1 Back pain and pain in the leg-2 Back pain and pain in the leg-3
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The degenerative changes in your friends spine may require surgery if they continue to worsen. However at this point based on the diagnostic images you have provided, we cannot advise that surgery is indicated. What is important is that she should exhaust all non-invasive measures in the treatment of her back condition. This includes medication and physiotherapy. If her pain continues then she will have to consult an orthopaedic surgeon in order to determine if surgery is the best option for her.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com