Back pain and possible spine deformity

Q: Ok i have had back pain for about three or more years now im only 21 years old. I am in pain everyday, it hurts to stand and sit or to do anything. And also a couple months ago i asked my husband to check my back for knots and he said my spine didnt feal straight. What should I do and what do you think this might be?

A:   The pain in the back is a common concern, and it affects roughly up to 90% of Americans at some point in their lifetime. According with the medical literature, up to 50% will have more than one episode. Back pain is not a specific disease but it is a symptom that may happen from a wide array of different processes. In up to 85% of people with back pain, despite a thorough medical examination and imaging tests (X rays, MRI, CT scans), no specific cause of the pain can be identified and we call it: mechanical back pain.
Common causes of back pain involve disease or injury to the muscles, bones, and/or nerves of the spine as follows: disc herniation that produces irritation of the nerve (i.e.: sciatica), spinal stenosis, deformities of the spine (i.e.: scoliosis, kyphosis), fibromyalgia, amongst the most common.
The suggested strategy to treat a back pain that has persisted for more than 1 month is as follows: evaluation by a physician to rule out other possible causes than just mechanic or postural and start a physical therapy program aimed to control pain, stretching and strengthening exercises, correct posture, and teach the patient an exercise routine that he/she can follow at home, also the use of anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e: “motrin”, “advil”, “aleve”) can be beneficial to manage the pain. Nearly everyone improves within a month following this conservative measures if it is a mechanical back pain. If you are concerned about a possible spine deformity  that might be causing the pain that you described, I strongly recommend that you get an evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon.