Back pain by a bulging disc: treatment options

Q: If a person has a bulging disc what should the treatment be if Phys o fails. also i seem to be getting worse with lactose. is that normal or acid problems.

A:    Basically the conservative treatment for a Lumbar nerve compression by a bulging disc is Physical Therapy aimed to control pain and inflammation, to recondition and stabilize the lumbar spine by re-education , teaching you a daily stretching routine for the lumbar area, strengthening of abdominal muscles, and other important general recommendations as follows: sleeping with a pillow between the knees lying on the side, avoid activities that place additional strain on the lumbar spine (example: weight lifting). All of the above, with the objective to keep you as far as possible from episodes of acute low back pain, and also to preserve your quality of life. In the case that the response to these measures is poor or there is no improvement, then the surgical option (discectomy or removal of the herniated disc to decompress the nerve and avoid more damage) may be considered. For the lactose problem I advise you to talk with your PCP.