Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Back pain – coccyx, hurts when i sit or sneeze.

Back pain – coccyx, hurts when i sit or sneeze.

Patient: I fell down the stairs last Friday, landing in the seated position. When I fell, a lot of the pressure was on my tailbone. A week later it still hurts when I sit in the seated position or sneeze etc. Is it just bruised or will I need an xray?

Symptoms: Sore back

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for your query.I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You got coccyx injury. Most pr obably it is bruised. However, you can its x-ray to rule out fracture. Treatment is similar whether it got bruised or fractured. Difference is only duration of treatment. Its treatment is hot sits bath, in which patient is advised to be seated in a tub full of lukewarm water for nearly 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening. Avoid sitting on hard seats. Avoid long continuous sitting. Analgesic such as ibuprofen helps in relieving pain. Vitamin B and C help in recovery. It may take 2-3 weeks to recover. Hope your query get answered. Wishing you a good health. Take care.