September 21, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Back pain + constipation?

Back pain + constipation?

Patient: I have significant pain in my lower back on the right side. Additionally, I have felt like I’ve needed a bowel movement all day, with no results. I am on day 3 of quitting smoking cold turkey. Not sure if any of these symptoms are related or not.

Symptoms: back pain, feeling of full bowels

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is likely that you are experiencing symptoms of nicotine withdrawal since quitting smoki ng. It is common to experience minor aches and pains along with episodes of constipation, nausea, and general GI discomfort. These withdrawal symptoms will likely resolve in a week to two weeks. If you do not observe any improvement, please see your doctor to discuss treating your withdrawal with supplementary nicotine patches if needed.Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com