Back pain due to slip disc

Q: Hi i have slip my disc about 4 years ago. i have on going back pains mild all the time .the disc seems to slip at least once a year. when it does i can hardle work. i have to take time off work .is there any thing that can be done to stop this happening?.

A:   With the condition of slipped disc, the disc does not actually slip out of place, but bulges out towards the spinal cord. The treatment typically involves a brief period of bed-rest with appropriate painkillers along with physiotherapy or chiropractic therapy should help. When there are changes or appearance of the new symptoms due to increasing pressure on the spinal cord or the nerves, surgical intervention needs to be considered. Reduction of the excess weight, strengthening abdominal and back muscles, proper habits such as, lifting techniques, how to walk without placing as much strain on your back etc. would help prevent slip disc.