Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Back pain during pregnancy with a hx of kidney stones

Back pain during pregnancy with a hx of kidney stones

Patient: I have a history of kidney stones and I am also 18 weeks pregnant. I am experiencing dull pain around my right kidney on and off for about 2 weeks now. I am just wondering if this could be a kidney stone or if this type of back pain could be related to pregnancy.

Doctor: Certainly there is an increase in the chance of developing kidney stones during pregnancy due to the urine stasis and on top of that since you have a history of kidney stones, I would definitely suggest you to consult your physician for an ultrasound to rule out this possibility.There are other conditions that might have the same symptoms, Urinary tract infections are also common in pregnancy and might reach your kidneys and produce low back pain, fever, chills etc. You will need to have a urine test done as well. In the meantime, I would suggest you to take plenty of fluids and if you can’t stand the pain, over the counter analgesics such as Paracetamol or Ibuprofen might help temporarily but an evaluation is imperative. I wish you a prompt recovery.