Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Back pain every morning, not spine.

Back pain every morning, not spine.

Patient: Every morning I wake up with back pain on both sides of my back in the same place. It is so bad that I wake up all through the night switching my position often which does not seem to help. When my husband rubs the area of pain it hurts worse. It has been going on for about a month now. It is hard to straighten up in the mornings. Could this be related to my kidneys? I have no other symptoms. Please advise, thank you.

Doctor: It seems to be more like a muscular problem than your kidneys. Since it always occurs in the morning i would also like t o rule out any rheumatic condition since you have morning stiffness. I would advice you to try some hot compress in that area which is involved and also try some local anti inflamatory gel like voltaren which will help reduce the inflamation. In case the pain does not subside then please consult a physician in person for a more detailed physical examination and further treament. All the best.