Back Pain : Healthy Posture Recommendations

Patient: I am 15 years old and lately i have been having back pain. my family doctor was worried i had scoliosis, she took an x-ray and it tuned out to be fine. but i have noticed i do stand tilting a bit to the left. only my lower back hurts but it does so when i bend down or turn to the side and i dont understand why, can you give me some insight on my pain?

Doctor: In the view of all your X-rays studies came out normal and no spine deviation was found the most likely diagnosis would be: mechanical low back pain (LBP) is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority within 2-4 weeks.The suggested strategy in your case would be: a physical therapy program aimed to: teach you flexion and extension exercises of the spine to reduce the nerve tension, exercises that improve the muscular strength and endurance of lumbar muscles.Also is very important to keep a good posture at all times and practice low-impact activities such as swimming, walking, and bicycling can increase overall fitness without straining the low back. Standing: While standing, keep your head up and stomach pulled in. If you are required to stand for long periods of time, you should have a small stool on which to rest one foot at a time. Do not wear high heels. Just following these easy recommendations you will decrease the chances to have episodes of low back pain.