Back pain in a young woman with previous history of kidney stones

Q: I have had major back pains the last few weeksand I was curious as to what this could be. I have had kidney stones, but have passed them, yet the back pain continues. Should I look into maybe getting an MRI to see what is wrong? I have the pain from walking, standing, even sitting down sometimes, it just happens.

A:   With your previous history of Kidney stones and urinary tract infections most likely the back pain is due to those factors and should be improving after passing the recent stones, if this is not the case and also you have radiation of the pain to the legs I recommend a consult with a spine specialist to rule out other more serious causes of your symptoms.