Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Back pain when breathing

Back pain when breathing

Patient: Whenever I sit and bend over or stand up and lean and I breathe in I have a strong pain in my lower back on my left. It has been going on for over a week now and I was just wondering if I should just leave it? Because in done stand and sitting positions I won’t get the pain.

Symptoms: Lower back pain on my left side.

Doctor: Thank you for question. It is possible that this pain you are experiencing could be due to strained intercostal muscles of your rib cage. These are muscles which line the ribs, and assist your diaphragm in expanding the chest cavity during inspiration. It is possible that you may have strained these muscles on the left side. We would like you to have this examined by a doctor in person to rule out any serious strains. In the mean time, you can apply a warm heating pad to the area to assist in alleviating this pain.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com