Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Back pain when get off the bed in the mornings

Back pain when get off the bed in the mornings

Patient: Ever since i had my last child 3 yrs ago my back hurts extremly bad when i get out of bed in the morning. could it be from the spinal before having a c section?

Doctor: as per your description it looks like a Mechanical Back pain. Mechanical low back pain (LBP) is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority of cases. Sometimes it may complicate with a sciatic nerve inflammation and the healing process takes a little longer. I suggest that check your mattress, your posture habits and your weight, these 3 factors are very important in causing back pain. The suggested strategy would be: a physical therapy program aimed to: keep your weight under control, because the overweight suppose additional stress to the lumbar spine,  control the pain and the inflammatory process, relative rest, flexion and extension exercises of the spine to reduce the nerve tension, exercises that improve the muscular strength and endurance of lumbar muscles. You can keep taking anti inflammatory medication (“Motrin”, “Aleve”) and you can follow these general recommendations: sleeping with a pillow between the knees while lying on one side may increase comfort, lying on your back with a pillow under your knees. If the pain persists for more than 2 months, it is strongly recommended that you get an evaluation by a physician.