Back Pain- When to call the doctor ?

Patient : I have a pain in my upper back on tha right side it feel like something is twisting it is very painful. The area is swallon I have not fallen so I don't exactly what's going on.
Doctor :   According with your description of the pain, the swelling in the area, no antecedent of trauma, it would be important to know for how long have you been experiencing the symptoms in order to have a more precise idea of what can be causing the pain, and decide or not if you would benefit of a doctor evaluation and imaging studies to rule out structural spinal causes for the pain. The conservative treatment of the upper back pain is basically relative rest of the spinal segment involved, avoiding all the activities that produce pain or discomfort, such as weight lifting. Also very important is the patient’s reeducation to keep a good posture at all times. Control of the pain and inflammation with Ice, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), and anti-inflammatory drugs (such as ibuprofen). Keep a consistent exercise routine with stretching and extension-flexion which may reduce tension and stress to the spinal joints. A home program is developed within the tolerance and ability of the patient in order to encourage continued exercise after discharge from physical therapy.