Back pain when turning torso

Patient

Q: Dear Doc, I am on day 3 of severe back pain that starts in my lower thoracic region and wraps around my ribs. It is acutely worse if I twist or turn even the slightest to the left or right, but the pain is concentrated on the right side of my back. It is worse after laying down or sitting down, and does improve to a mild level if I stand and do not turn or twist. I rode a rollercoaster and bumper cars 5 days ago, and I do not remember any specific injury. I am not running a fever, do not have pain or numbness in my legs. and can bend over without increasing the pain. I am treating with rest, heat and a muscle relaxant (I have arthritis in my back- this pain is different and acute). Is this something that can be home treated until a physician appointment in a few weeks such as a sprain, or does this warrant an emergency room visit expense.

Symptoms:  Severe back pain when twisting, turning or reaching for something, or bending side to side
Doctor