Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Back Pain While Swallowing Food

Back Pain While Swallowing Food

Patient: For a few days now, I have been getting this weird pain in my upper back when I swallow food. At first I thought it was heartburn, but it’s really more general soreness than a burning sensation. I feel it sometimes when I’m not eating but then it is very light. It only becomes acute while swallowing. Specifically, I feel it between my shoulder blades, slightly more on the right side than the left. Recently I have been taking Zoloft for social anxiety, but I don’t know if it could possibly be related.

Symptoms: Pain in upper back, between shoulder blades. Slightly more on the right side than the left

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that this pain you are experiencing may be due to acid reflux into the esoph agus. This pain can radiate outwardly leading to pain in the upper torso such as the back. We strongly recommend that you follow up with your doctor to have this promptly evaluated. Try to avoid eating right before bed, and keep a journal of the foods you are eating an which ones exacerbate these symptoms. This will greatly assist your doctor in treating you.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com