Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Back problem could effect the top of my feet?

Back problem could effect the top of my feet?

Patient: My back has been hurt for like 2 weeks from going off a rope swing then I hurt my right wrist playing guitar? my wrist only hurts in my tendon. and now the top of my feet throb a little. and I also have knot in the right side of my neck. Arthritis runs in my family but none of my joints are inflamed or hurting. im 22 and im a musician. does anyone know if a hurt back can make the top of my feet throb like that? and how long my back could take to heal? I have bad OCD so I keep thinking this is arthritis and as you know arthritis is not friendly for a career as a musician.

Doctor: No, there is no relation between your back pain and the throbbing on the top of your feet, most likely you are experien ncing a mechanical low back pain, Mechanical low back pain (LBP) is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority within 2-4 weeks. Sometimes it may complicate with a persistent muscle contracture and/or a sciatic nerve inflammation and the healing process takes a little longer.The suggested conservative treatment would be: a physical therapy program aimed to: control the pain and the inflammatory process, relative rest, flexion and extension exercises of the spine to reduce the nerve tension, exercises that improve the muscular strength and endurance of lumbar muscles. The main goal of physical therapy in persons with post-traumatic acute back pain is not to increase strength but to achieve adequate pain control. Acetaminophen (“Tylenol”) remains one of the best first-line treatments of acute LBP. It is generally well tolerated, has few adverse effects or drug reactions with other medications, and is inexpensive. You can also try anti inflammatory drugs (“Aleve”) or the one that you are actually taken “Celebrex”. Also, try avoiding all the activities that produce pain or discomfort, such as weight lifting, keep a good posture at all times and sleeping with a pillow between the knees while lying on one side may increase comfort. Some doctors recommend lying on your back with a pillow under your knees. The back pain will improve within several days. Do not be discouraged if you don’t get a fast improvement. Almost everyone gets better within a month of onset of the pain if it is an uncomplicated mechanical lower back pain.