Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Back was hurting on my left side right under my shoulder blade

Back was hurting on my left side right under my shoulder blade

Patient: Ok so i woke up one morning and my back was hurting on my left side right under my shoulder blade. well now I am having pain on and off..when i move my head up and down it hurts. What could it be?

Symptoms: back pain

Doctor: You might have had a strain in back muscle which resulted in pain in few movements. Rest, ice, compression, and elevatio n usually will help minimize the damage. Mild strains may require rehabilitation exercises and activity modification during recovery, whereas severe strain may require surgery or immobilization followed by months of therapy. Consult a physician to decide upon the level of strain and get treated, though mild strains can be cured by home remedies.