Backache due to continuously working on laptop

Patient

Q: Hi..I have a backache problem due to continuously working on computer..Is there any way to overcome the back problem..Can you suggest some exercise or any other way to control my back problem

Symptoms:  Backache
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. This is a very common problem among people who work sitting in front of a computer. There are several ways in which you can relieve tension in your back. One way is to make sure you have a properly ergonomically adjusted chair for your posture. Such chairs have adjustable lumbar spine support, comfortable cushioning and the height can be adjusted accordingly to suit your height and posture. Secondly, it is important to take breaks where you stand and stretch, twist and walk every 60-90 minutes. It does not need to be anything excessive, just simple taking 30 seconds to a minute to get up and stretch, twist at the hips, and touch the toes can help a lot.
At the end of the day, when you get home, try to lay flat on the ground and try to do some relaxation, allowing all your weight to settle in the floor as it were. This can relieve the excessive tension on the lumbar spine and prepare you for a good nights rest. There are may videos online that show back stretching techniques which you can use, but we strongly warn you to use caution and be cleared by your doctor before engaging in any of them to prevent injury.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com