Bacterial Infection in Urinary Tract Treatment

Patient: Hello Doctor. I am 68 years old. I was operated with esphagatomy(Esophagus cancer surgery) on 9th February 2015. Post operation I have been detected with bacterial infection in the Urinary Tract. According to latest reports of the urine examination showsPus cells – FullfieldEpithelial cells – 2-3/HPFRBC 5-6/HPFWhat is the possible treatment for Urinary tract Infection? I have undergone medications like piperacillin/tazobactum injections(7 injections), Nitrofurantoin tablets(7days) but my problem still persists.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Bladder catheterization during the surgery, nosocomial infect ions etc can lead to urinary tract infections. As you have used antibiotics already and as the problem is still persisting, better to go for urine culture and sensitivity.This can help in finding out the possible causative organism and its sensitivity to drugs, then further treatment can be planned accordingly.Associated with this, taking plenty of water, avoiding prolonged retention of urine can help in reducing the infection.Take care