Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Bacterial Prostatitis, UTI or Blockage in the Urethra

Bacterial Prostatitis, UTI or Blockage in the Urethra

Patient: I went to Urgent Care (new in town and no Primary, yet) for problems starting urinating and pain in the prostate. Urine specimen was normal for normal test, but they gave me Levofloxacin which did nothing within 1 week. Went back did prostate exam then urine again, and this time there was “white blood cells with bacteria.” Finished out 3 weeks on the med, still nothing. Went back, this time I’m on Bactim and Flomax until I can get an appointment with a Urologist. They said it could be blockage in the urethra, which causes me to push harder, which inflamed the prostate. Does this sound true, or is it bacterial prostatitis? Only been 2 days on the new meds and nothing has changed. Thanks!

Symptoms: Difficulty urinating, frequent urination, painful prostate

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you have developed bacterial prostatitis which is causing your present ing symptoms. Urinary tract infections can actually infect surrounding structures of the genitourinary system such as the prostate gland. This can result in swelling of the prostate gland which can obstruct the prostatic urethra. Since you have only been on your new medications for two days, you may need a few more days of treatment to observe improvement. We would like to mention that if at any point you are unable to void your urine at all due to this obstruction, please seek medical attention immediately. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com