Bad back more severe after waking up.

Patient : I went to sleep with some pain in my back. When I woke up and got to work, it moved to my shoulders and arms and I became unable to move. What is most likely wrong?
Doctor :   Your symptoms may be caused due to a musculo-skeletal strain. I would advise you to take OTC pain-killers/NSAIDS and see if it helps. Rest and ice will also help to relieve the symptoms. If the pain does not get better, you may need to visit your doctor for a physical examination. X-rays will usually be normal in most cases.