Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Bad fall, back & neck pain.

Bad fall, back & neck pain.

Patient: I fell on the stairs due to a patch of ice. My back is really sore and it hurts to move my neck? Is this just bruising? Should I just ice it?

Symptoms: Back pain, hurts to move neck, headache

Doctor: Hi.Thank you for writing to ATD.You should try RICE therapy. RICE stands for Rest, Ice, Compression and elevation.Rest – rest and avoid strenuous workIce – ice the back for 15 mins a time up to 4 times a dayCompression – it is difficult to compress the back with a bandage. You can get a massage done if the pain is not too severe.Elevation – lift the neck to reduce swelling in the neck.Take 4 Acetaminophen a day to relieve the pain. If you are not better by 3 days, talk to a Doctor.I hope this helps. All the best.