Bad knee after a fall down stairs

Q: I fell down 4-5 stairs last night. As I was walking down my leg gave way and my leg went underneath me as I fell. It was agony last night and this morning. I can put some weight on it and my knee is very swolen and feels like I have bricks on it. Also it is not bending very far. What should I do?

A:   Hello
Thank you posting your query on “Ask the Doctor”.
It is important that we determine what is causing your knee pain before even starting any type of treatment.
For this, you will have to see a doctor who will examine your knees.
Doctor may suggest MRI of the joint to assess whether there are any torn ligaments, inflammation or the development of arthritis.
It appears that you got injured your knee joint structures.
For this your doctor may advise you bed rest and analgesic medication such as Advil, naproxen etc
The more physiotherapy to the knee joint, the more you will be able to prevent stiffness and increase range of motion.
You may use a knee brace while walking.
Wish you a speedy recovery.