Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Bad Low Back Pain: What to do?

Bad Low Back Pain: What to do?

Patient: Dear Doc, Recently I have been having really bad lower back pain. But when I went to the hospital and got checked out they said that everything was okay. However, the pain is still here and it will be over a month tommorow. I was just wondering why i was having this discomfort? And also is there a way to get rid of it for good?

Doctor: In the view that you were checked out at the hospital and your young age, the most likely diagnosis would be: Mechanical low back pain (LBP) which is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. In the majority of cases the LBP resolves within 2-4 weeks.The conservative treatment of the mechanical lower back pain is basically relative rest, avoiding all the activities that produce pain or discomfort, such as weight lifting. Also very important is to keep a good posture at all times and sleeping with a pillow between the knees while lying on one side may increase comfort. Some doctors recommend lying on your back with a pillow under your knees.   Control of the pain and inflammation with Ice, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), Physical Therapy and anti-inflammatory drugs (“Aleve”). Try to keep a consistent exercise routine with stretching and extension-flexion which may reduce tension and stress to the spinal joints. After your visit to the hospital for back pain, it is recommended that you follow your doctor’s instructions as carefully as possible. This includes taking the medications and performing activities as directed. The back pain will improve within several days. Do not be discouraged if you don’t get a fast improvement. Almost everyone gets better within a month of onset of the pain.