Baker Cyst Question

Q: Hello. I am 18 and, I have diagnosed with what is called a Bakers Cyst. I have done MRI's and several X Rays and, the doctors do not know why the cyst has occured. I have had it drained twice. The first time it was drainedm it came back within a week. The second time it was drained, it came back within 3 months. But, this time a cortisone shot was also used. Now, the cyst has returned and, my leg is stiff because of it. I am going to get it drained once more. But this time, should I get two doses of the cortisone shot?

A:   The most common mass in the popliteal fossa (the region behind the knee)  is the Baker cyst, also called popliteal cyst, it results from build up or fluid distention of the calf muscles bursa. It usually communicates with the knee joint by way of a slitlike opening at the posterior and inner  aspect of the knee capsule just superior to the joint line. A Baker cyst may serve as a protective mechanism for the knee, when certain disorders cause joint effusion, this liquid is displaced into the Baker cyst, thus reducing potentially destructive pressure in the joint space. Arthritis is the most common condition associated with Baker cysts, with osteoarthritis probably being the most frequent cause. The treatment of Baker cysts is conservative and includes the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, ice, and assisted weight bearing, in addition to the correction of underlying intra-articular disorders. Internal derangements of the knee can be treated with therapeutic arthroscopy. You just get only one cortisone shot at a time if your doctor consider that it  is needed.