Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Basics of a Labiaplasty Procedure

Basics of a Labiaplasty Procedure

Patient: I am thinking about getting a Labiaplasty done. My inner labia is way bigger than the outer. I am 26 years old and have a baby already. My labia has always been bigger, and it might even have gotten bigger after the pregnancy. I was wondering if having a larger inner labia causes more vaginal discharge and more yeast infections, which I both have. Also, since this is really uncomfortable for me, when I wear tight close etc. Can you explain a little bit about how the surgery is done and what recovery is like?

Doctor: Labiaplasty has become a relative common surgical procedure. It can be performed under local anesthesia with sedation or under general anesthesia. Your surgeon and anesthesiologist will decide based on surgeon preference and patient suitable for each.The procedure involves removal of a portion of the labia minora (inner labia) with aim of getting a symmetrical and aesthetic result. Your surgeon may use one of several techniques to achieve this. You will be able to go home the same day of the procedure. Recovery time is relatively short and you should be able to return to work within 3-4 days.You will need to avoid wearing tight underwear such as thongs and avoid sexual intercourse for 4 weeks to allow for proper healing. Complications are not common but include infection, bleeding, and poor wound healing.Note, a larger inner labia does not result in more frequent vaginal infections.