182 Physicians Online

Batholin cyst, can it recurr?

I had a bartholin cyst drained last month in october and it recurred on the first day of my menstrual cycle of this month, november. but just last night it ruptured while i was asleep. is this normal for a bartholin cyst to recur or for it to rupture on its own? what do i do?

Bartholin's glands are located on both sides of the vaginal opening. These glands secrete a thin lubricating mucus during sexual stimulation. Blockage of the gland can lead to formation of a cyst due to accumulation of secretions in the gland. A bacterial infection may develop in the cyst leading to the formation of an abscess. Though some cysts resolve on their own, most require an incision and drainage. A simple incision will relieve the symptoms but there is a high chance of recurrence. Marsupialization of the cyst is considered after there is a recurrence of the cyst.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA