Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Beginning of the month I had light spotting not enough

Beginning of the month I had light spotting not enough

Patient: Beginning of the month I had light spotting not enough to get onto a pad I’m currently ten days late on my menstrul cycle and had negative pregnancy test results. Could this be a sign of anything other then pregnancy

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.The spotting could be due to a hormonal imbalance, ovulatory bleeding at ovulation or even a pill related side effect. Stress, thyroid and ovulatory disturbances could be other issues, endometrial hyperplasia, cervical polyp and other, local causes need to be ruled out as well. Consider consulting a gynecologist for an examination and do a beta hCG test to rule out pregnancy possibilities in case of a history of intercourse.Hope this helped.Regards