Behavior Issues with small child

Patient: My son is in kindergarten and is having some behavioral troubles and we’ve noticed some of these things in preschool as well. He laughs at inappropriate times such as when he’s in trouble or if someone gets hurt. He doesn’t respect others personal space. He’s started hitting more. He doesn’t like to be rushed will become very upset. He doesn’t like his hands to be dirty and will ask to wash them often. When I’m talking to him, I’m having to repeat myself several times in order to get him to do a task.

Symptoms: N/a

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for choosing “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.Your son could be having an illness call ed op positional defiant disorder. This involves not respecting and frequent disobeying the statements of authority figure. This requires behavioural therapy of the child and involves some changes in the parental techniques. The first and foremost principle is giving time and attention to your child. Then you need to appreciate all the good things about him and try avoiding the bad things about him as your attention during bad deeds will always encourage him in doing more bad things.Behavioural therapy involves encouraging good behaviour and discouraging bad behaviours by giving appropriate rewards.You may meet a clinical psychologist who can guide you in these therapies. Do meet your doctor and get a referral to a clinical psychologist.Hope I am able to answer your concerns.Wish you good health!