Behavoural problems - Constant crying in a child

Q: My son constantly cries all the time, from the time he wakes up until he sleeps. He screams all the time, is his behavoir normal? He is an 18 month old boy

A:   Constant crying in a child could be a sign of colic. Any duration of excessive crying in a child needs to be examined. Colic is certainly a possibility but other medical causes such as constipation or interception have to be ruled out. It may be that some component of the formula is not suitable for her system and she is unable to digest her feeds or it is making her constipated. The possibility always exists that this is simply a growing phase but for pain of this duration, a medical assessment is warranted.