Benign prostate hyperplasia and decreased urine flow

Patient : When my husband useses the bathroom his urine is not a constint flow it starts stops starts stops what could be the reason for this
Doctor :   There are many causes of a weak urinary stream, however the most common cause is benign prostate hyperplasia. As men get older, there is a good chance that their prostates will enlarge, and because of this there is a decreased urinary flow. A urinary tract infection, certain neurological disorders or some prescription drugs could also cause similar symptoms. I would suggest that he consult a urologist for examination to determine the cause of poor urinary stream. Digital Rectal Examination, Urine Flow Study, cystoscopy and Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) Blood Test may be advised by his doctor.  Drugs like finesteride and terazosin may be used to prevent progression of growth of the prostate or actually shrink the prostate in some men.