Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Benzocaine used orally in 5-month pregnant woman

Benzocaine used orally in 5-month pregnant woman

Patient: My 5-month pregnant pregnant wife was administered benzocaine orally as part of her dental cleaning, despite telling the hygienist twice not to use it. Can the benzocaine affect our baby’s health?

Symptoms: No symptoms other than my wife being terribly upset.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Orally administered benzocaine belongs to category C drugs in pregnancy, means animal studies have shown few adverse effects on fetus whereas sufficient human studies are lacking.Exposure for minimal doses for a short period may not cause much problem, but better to be careful.Regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations are advisable to monitor the wellbeing of the baby and to detect any abnormality at the earliest.Take care.