Best friend had three TIA's - chances of recovery?

Patient

Q: My best friend had 3 TIA's 5 months ago.. He went to the hospital and they discovered a clot in his neck. He can't have surgery because it's far too dangerous.. He's exercising and on a diet currently. But he's always weak, in pain, and has trouble thinking and doing more than one thing at once. Will this all improve? and is it normal? and also what can be done since he can't have surgery to correct the problem? Thank you very much!

Doctor

A:   A transient ischemic attack (TIA) is caused by temporary disturbance of blood supply to an area of the brain, resulting in a sudden decrease in brain function. The disturbance is transient and usually full functions return as the blood clot is removed and the blood flow to the brain is restored. If surgical removal of the clot is not possible, the clot may be slowly dissolved with blood thinner medications like aspirin, clopidogrel, coumadin, heparin etc. along with certain dietary changes. However regular follow up and long term continuation of the medication is recommended to prevent future attacks.