Best type of birth control for my partner and I


Q: How can my partner and I prevent pregnancy better than just using condoms? We have looked into things like a vasectomy, but I have had surgery on both testicles for tortioned testicles and i have had epididymitis once two years ago. We want to have kids in the future, but not right now. We aren't sure what to do and what would be a good temporary solution until we decided to want to have kids.

Symptoms:  No symptoms

A:   Hello,
The best solution for contraception if you both as a couple are not planning to have kids for atleast 3 years is hormonal contraception in form of implants like IMPLANON. These are to be used subdermally by your partner and would avoid ovulation and hence pregnancy. The validity is 3 years and if pregnancy is desired before that, they may be removed by a physician and menses generally resume within 1-2 months and regularize in next 2-3 months.
I hope i have answered your query,
wishing you both safe sexual practices,

Related Q&A

Q: I take the Lutera birth control pill everyday at 11pm. Last night (Saturday) I took a pill at 11pm and this morning (...

Q: Hi - I'm on Alesse for birth control and since having our daughter 7 months ago, I'm quite religious with my pill but...

Q: I have had bilateral PE, DVT x2 and clot behind my eye in the past. My doctor was away and a new doctor put in the im...

Q: I have taken an i-pill on 31st October, my periods was due on 18 but I got it on 7th. But the bleeding is very low wi...

Q: I hVe taken two extra days worth of levlen ed for birth control by mistake and just wanted to no if i should wait two...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon