Beta Blockers and Viagra

Patient

Q: My boyfriend is 66 and is taking 5mg amlodpine daily for bp and 80 mg simvastatin for colestrol. Is it safe for him to take Viagra and if so, what dosage?

Doctor

A:   The concomitant use of viagra (sildenafil) and beta-blockers  may lead to decrease in blood pressure. Sildenafil has to be used with caution in patients with cardiac diseases. I would suggest that your boyfriend consult his doctor for further evaluation. He may be able to take viagra at the lowest possible dose provided his blood pressure is stable. I hope the information helps.