Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Bicep pain when I throw aball to first base playing softball

Bicep pain when I throw aball to first base playing softball

Patient: I want to play softball. I play at shortstop. When I throw to first there is a VERY sharp pain in my throwing arm. What Can I do for this? It hurts so bad the ball does not get to first.

Symptoms: Sharp pain in my bicep

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you may have strained or even ruptured your bicep tendon. This could oc cur in very strenuous physical activity such as rapidly throwing a baseball. We strongly recommend that you seek medical attention. Your doctor will need to perform a full examination of this injury. You may also need to undergo diagnostic imaging to assist in the diagnosis. Treatment will depend on the severity of the injury but will invariably require you to take some time away from playing baseball while this heals. If it is a complete rupture of the bicep tendon, you will need surgery to repair it. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com