Big stomach and rest of body slim

Patient

Q: My boyfriend has had a big stomach since childhood and thinks he has a problem because the rest of his body is slim. He told me he used to refuse to defecate for days and even weeks as a child. Could he have a bowl problem that lingered on? He goes to the bathroom now at least 2 times a week now but the stomach won't go down

Symptoms:  My boyfriend has had a big stomach since childhood and thinks he has a problem because the rest of his body is slim. He told me he used to refuse to defecate for days and even weeks as a child. Could he have a bowel problem that lingered on? He goes to the bathroom now at least 2 times a week now but the stomach won't go down
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. His large stomach could be due to having only two bowel movements a week as well as excess fat that is in the area. We recommend that he increase his dietary fibre intake as well as water so that he can have regular bowel movements daily. Secondly, exercising regularly well help in the reduction of overall body fat, and this would assist in reducing the size of his stomach as well.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com