Bilateral Hip pain in a worried teenager.

Patient

Q: Hello..I've been having this pain in the hip area. I couldn't walk properly and didn't feel like eating anything. I don't know how to explain it. But it's on the left side only..it goes from the lower part of the tummy (ovary area) to the hip bone and to the lower back. My first thought was growing pains since i am a 15 year old girl. But now 2 days later i don't feel the same pain anymore but earlier today i was lying down while feeling my belly with my fingertips to make sure everything was fine but it did not feel the same way on both sides. It felt.. swollen? on the left side between the hipbone and my belly button. I'm worried..what could it be that hurts so bad? Should i be worried or am i just paranoid?

Doctor

A:    Possibly you are experiencing a Hip tendinitis or bursitis, which is an inflammation of the hip bursa or hip tendons caused by repetitive use, trauma, infection, or systemic inflammatory disease, in your case may be caused by repetitive daily living activities.  Bursae are flattened sacs that serve as a protective buffer between bones and overlapping muscles (deep bursae) or between bones and tendons/skin (superficial bursae). These synovial-lined sacs are filled with minimal amounts of fluid to facilitate movement during muscle contraction. Deep bursae, such as the subacromial (shoulder) and iliopsoas (hip) bursae, are located in the fascia. Symptoms of bursitis may or not include localized tenderness, swelling, redness, and/or reduced /limited movement. Most likely  the treatment for  bursitis or tendinitis  is conservative and aimed to reduce inflammation and of course the pain. Conservative treatment includes rest, local cold and heat treatments, elevation, no steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (“Motrin”, “Aleve”), if needed :bursal aspiration, and intrabursal steroid injections (with or without local anesthetic agents.  It would be important, in a person of your young age, to rule out other bone problems mostly in the femur head, which might be causing the pain that you described.